Monday, January 17, 2011

How Much Does It Cost?

Typically people are very interested in the cost of a solar system until they here the cost and then they decide that it is far too expensive to purchase.

When I was doing my research, before I purchased, I was trying to find the 'sweet spot'. I was trying to take advantage of economies of scale while still purchasing something that would NOT destroy my life if things didn't turn out, like the sun stopped shinning! I suppose if the sun stopped shinning we would all have much bigger problems than wasting money on solar panels!

So, how much does the standard setup cost? And what is the standard setup?

To me, the standard setup would be panel installation on the roof with no tracking (follow the sun throughout the day) capabilities.

From my research, I found a very good breakdown that helped me find the 'sweet spot.'

1 to 2 kW --> 10$/W = 10,000$ to 20,000$
3 kW --> 9.25$/W = 27,750$
4 kW --> 8.50$/W = 34,000$
.
.
.

So the next question is naturally, how much did you end up spending on the system? And to that I tell people the same thing. It was around 32,000$ for a 5.28kW system. My panels are Schuco and my inverter is a SMA Sunny Boy. Of course, my price above is plush HST which is a significant amount of money but in Ontario, the HST can be recovered via the HST rules IF you charge HST and remit it to the government. I will eloborate more on this in a future post.

Next post, I will get into the details of my system.

If you have purchased a system, how much did it cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment